If you are not a big fan of packing and moving, just join the many thousands of people who have the same feelings you do. It might be that you are having trouble just getting started on the move. If that's the case, from organizing your belongings to hiring a local mover, here are some ideas that might help you to prepare your move in an organized way that won't be as painful as you thought it would be:
Enlist Your Family Members -
- Get each person in your family to de-clutter their own areas.
- Work together to go through the house to get rid of things you don't want or need.
- Designate stacks for things like charity donations, garage sale items, and trash.
- Put packing day on your calendar and make sure your family knows when the day will be.
Once you have decluttered all of the rooms in your home, the packers will have a much easier job. Remember to put aside things like medicine, favorite toys and things like linens and towels that you'll need right away in your new home. Make sure those things don't get packed. Also, you might consider hand carrying things like files that contain essential documents and other important papers.
Moving Day -
- Be ready to work with the packers.
- Have a chart of where you want items to go in the new house.
- For example, designate which sofa goes in the living room and which one goes in the den.
- Have somebody responsible meet the movers at the new house to give them clear instructions.
Don't worry about breakables. First of all, the residential moving service that you select will have workers who have the training and the experience to pack things correctly. For example, if you have large objects like artwork or heavy mirrors, those items will more than likely be placed carefully in a well-padded crate.
The movers will even unpack for you if you want them to. If you have decided that you want to do the unpacking yourself, this is where the chart you made earlier will prove to be very useful. Boxes that are labeled Kitchen will be placed right where they belong. If you have boxes that are labeled Books, they will be placed where there is shelving. Just be specific about where you want things to go and your unpacking job will go a lot smoother.